“Tuffers” takes the Ice Bucket Challenge at Sonning Cricket Club
those that didn't see it live, or want to see it again, here is a link
to Phil “The Cat” Tufnell taking the Ice Bucket Challenge in front of
Sonning Cricket Club Pavillion. His "assassins" are our resident
Australian first team player, Louis Ellery and Simon "Brooksy" Brooks.
event occurred at the end of the Club's "Presidents Day" organised Club
President and wife, Max and Paula McNeil and Club Chairman Jamie
Travers. There were far too many other important contributions to name
them all here.
Guest of honour was Phil Tufnell who participated in the entire game, and embraced the occasion with genuine warmth and humour.
was a hugely successful day, with around 400 spectators watching
Sonning achieve a narrow victory over the Presidents XI, with a six from
1st team captain, Olly Clayson, with just 3 balls to go in the match.
2014 Presidents day photos link
8-Sep-2014 -- Transcript between Tuffers and Aggers on air on Test Match Special, Tuesday September 2nd
-Tuffers....Played a match on Sunday at Sonning in Berkshire.
-Aggers....Did you - how did it go?
- Not bad. Made 10 - against their first team
- Oh! Here's Kulkarni, bowls.........10! So where did you get them?
- Well a couple off my legs, a couple through the off-side
- What? Boundaries?
- Yeah, boundaries! No, it was a nice day down there. It was a President's Day and, er...Yes!..Er, lovely little clubhouse down there, lovely Sunday afternoon, beautiful weather - we're meant to be having this Indian summer, aren't we. But I pulled me hamstring. First time in 48 years I've pulled a hamstring.
- Running between the wickets?
- No. I was on that sort of Jonty Rhodes, gulley line.
- Oh, of course
- Rhodes. Collingwood. Tufnell. That position you've made your own! Ah, right. You went a bit too early or something?
- It twanged!
- Oh dear! In goes Kulkarni......Well, look Tuffers. All figures. I think it's time to retire.
- I think it is
- They'll have a little plaque up there - "Tufnell scored 10 here".
- They might. Sonning C.C. might have seen the last of the Cat.
- Oh, really? How did the bowling go?
- Well, not great. It came out alright but..you know.. got hit into the gardens a few times. Couple short. Yeah, couple short. Went to fire one in and....it just wasn't there!
- Odd, though, how your bowling has gone sharply downhill but your batting ..obviously, you're in mid-season form. 10! Here's Cook looking for his first run - he could do with 10.....So you were seeing the ball like a football from then on.
- Yeah, but then..er..yeah but was out, er, seven balls later.
- Oh! You didn't say you'd been dismissed!
- Well, no, yeah, yeah.
- What happened?
- Plinked it to mid-off.
- Oh no, did you? You must have been - Oh no! Too much confidence obviously